Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Traveling to the far east



Every step is a journey. No journey is complete without learning. Learning about us and the world around us.


I will be traveling for the next weeks around the globe. My first stop (after this layover< which has a story to be told after a paragraph or two!) is going to be Israel.

Last time I was there was in 2001. I haven't been there in 10 years. I was 15 and it was a school trip, I earned it not for being smart --which of course I am ;)-- but for having good grades. We went on a 2 weeks trip around the country. It was fun, exciting and full of emotions. I fell in lo ve! with the people, the landscape and everything else. I have always wanted to come back and finally I am on my way to the Holy Land.

I will be staying with friends; who I haven't seen for a really long time. I will post photographs and stories as soon as I can manage


Now to the layover or better yet the flight here...

Maybe it has to do with me being a Visual Journalist, a Story Teller, or just a Person Willing to Listen and Share. But I was sitting next to a french man, we started the flight without much said, a 'Hola' and a 'Salut' was our exchange, until food got to us, which was almost immediate to take-off. We started talking, he asked about my origins, he was surprised I was from Mexico, he thought I was from somewhere else because I was reading a book in English (this is the moment I tell you about the book, but let's leave it for other paragraph). And I was surprised he was from France, because he was talking with a couple of Argentinians and reading a book in Spanish, so I assumed something else. But having exchanged that we continued talking.

And talking...

And talking...

About what? you might be questioning, considering we were talking for the whole flight except an hour. Well we talked about our lives, about our professions, about different believes, I showed him my photography, we talked about that, about future and past. It was very very interesting, getting to know people always is. And it is part of life. What did I learned from him? I am not exactly sure yet but it will come to me, because people come to our lives for a learning exchange, you take something with you from every interaction and you give something back (we also talked about this). It was an amazing talk, full of perspective, opinions and hand reading. I am sure this is not the last interaction, maybe there won't be more face to face, but words and visions will be exchanged.


The book? Nothing to fancy. A novel 'The man who loved Jane Austen' by Sally Smith O'rourke. A romantic book for dreamers and Jane Austen fans. After having read a lot of Holocaust books for my documentary, this is taking a breath and enjoying my vacations after 2 years of non-stop learning and work.


The layover? Je suis dans l'Aéroport de Paris --Charles de Gaulle--. I will be here for a couple of more hours and then off we go למְדִינַת יִשְׂרָאֵל.



So stay tuned for more stories on this awesome adventure...



No comments:

Post a Comment